Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Outlet shopping...for food?

Happy Saturday Appleseed Readers! Megs here with something for you to consider as you trim your grocery budgets this year.  As a busy mom on a budget, I try to save money wherever I can, but there are some things that I am picky about.  Bread is one of those things.  I recently discovered that a popular bread company has a bakery outlet store near my house.  I went in the other day and was pleasantly surprised at the offerings and prices!  They had a huge selection of breads, pastries, cookies, and even some pre-packaged food items (such as shelf stable soup mix).  Along the back wall were racks of discounted bakery goods near expiration; the prices on these were crazy good!  Better still, at checkout they informed me that for every $5 I spent, I could choose an item from the "free" rack.  I was thrilled to see whole wheat bagels, several varieties of english muffins, and loaves of organic whole wheat bread!  A tip for you thrifty mamas out there...bread freezes very well!  I tucked those two loaves of organic wheat bread in the freezer for use at a later date.



Bakery and grocery outlets can be a boon for savings.  Just keep the following in mind:


  • Always check the expiration date.  If you aren't going to use something right away, you may be able to freeze it!
  • Ask when new products come in and what the rotation schedule is for sale items.  You may even be able to score better deals than what is visible; I saw a man walk out of the store with an entire cart load of bread that he paid less than $30 for!  This could be great for donating to a local food bank or if you need to serve a large crowd, such as a church dinner
  • Don't be afraid to try different brands or products...you may just love it!

That's all for today.  Have a great week/weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment