Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, February 3, 2014

Frugal Monday: Saving big bucks at Safeway

Hi there Appleseed Readers!  Megs here with a store specific post for you busy frugal minded readers.  While I love couponing (and save quite a bit that way), there are those weeks where I don't have the time or energy to do it.  When that happens, I turn to Safeway and their mobile app to help me save an average of 35-65% off my grocery bill without clipping coupons.  Before we get started, a disclaimer: I receive no special perks/money/better parking spaces for this post...just wanted to share this strategy with you all for those days when you need groceries but don't have much time :)  With this method, the percentages might be lower than when you religiously coupon, but are still significant.

For my latest trip, I started by going online and signing in to my Safeway account (free to create!).  Then, I scrolled through the "Just for U" section of the site and loaded the personalized sale prices and coupons the store was currently offering me to my card.  I often will load a coupon or product with a specialized discount price even if I don't need it in the moment, as most deals are good for a few weeks.  On this particular trip, Safeway was offering me $5 off a purchase of $20 or more.  This is one of my favorite deals, as it ends up being a "make your own coupon" kind of deal!  This $5 can be utilized to buy things that don't normally go on sale or that might not be on sale when you need to buy it.  Before heading into the store, I take a few minutes to add deals (personalized prices and coupons) to my grocery list so I remember to buy everything.




 Once in the store, all I need to do is get what is on my list.  But to really maximize savings, I always always ALWAYS check out the clearance grocery section.  Where it is located will vary according to your store.  Just look for an odd shelf with a motley crew of mismatched products ;)  Today I found gourmet olives (which I couldn't normally afford..nom!) and my favorite instant coffee (that I may or may not keep stashed in the car for those days where I am running SO late I don't even have time to make coffee...because that NEVER happens....).

On this particular trip, I purchased all of these groceries (including the lip balms and method cleaner!) for a grand total of $30.88.  Really!!!!  The best part? All you have to do to get the savings is plug in your Safeway account information (like phone number) at checkout.  The discounts tend to come off right at the end, so you still get that "breathless did I do it right?" feeling before forking over your money ;)



I was able to save 55% off of my grocery bill, and I didn't clip a single coupon.  On this particular trip the eggs were not on sale (due to an egg shortage, who'd have thought?) so the $5 off $20 really helped.  Also, the whipped cream wasn't a "necessary" item, but it will taste great with the fresh berries already in the fridge.  That's all for tonight, folks.  Happy Frugal Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment